Limestone Sales & Lettings Office Manager Paul Neale talks about the ways to save money and help make your homer more environmentally friendly.
The talk about saving the planet and becoming energy efficient is a conversation that has been sprouting up all over the news recently, as the world become more advanced, the demand to start looking after the planet has increased. The question is, where do you start? The answer to that is to simply begin at home. The amount of energy wasted everyday in your home is a lot more than your probably realise, not only does this effect the environment, but your wallet too. In this blog you’ll discover how to make your home more energy efficient and save money.
Cool washes for the win:
Did you know that 90% of the energy used by your washing machine is used to head the water and the other 10% is used to run the machine? That is a lot of energy. To solve this problem, simply use cooler water for every load to help save a significant amount of energy.
Install solar panels:
These may not be the cheapest of things, but the return on investment is worth it. Not only does it heat hot water, but also generates electricity for your home. Long term, they will help to save money on the energy bills and promote lower fossil fuel usage.
Top ratings with Energy Star products:
If you are about to kit out your new property or jazz up your current home, then look at Energy Star products. Energy Star-qualified appliances (televisions, refrigerators, ovens, washing machines and air conditioners) use anywhere between 10-50% less energy than standard appliances and help reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses.
Hi tech= less electricity:
Once you find a desktop computer that best suits you, it can be hard to part from it, especially when tech experts recommend you replace your laptop every 4 years, that doesn’t always sound like the kind of investment you want to make. However, laptops use up to 80% less electricity and run on less energy than desktop computers. Desktops use around 175 watts, with laptops using only around 60 watts at their peak.
Take those plugs out!
For some people, keeping plugs in that aren’t being used keeps them awake at night and bothers them throughout the day and quite frankly, everyone should be concerned about it! The average charger consumes 0.26 watts of energy when not in use and 2.24 watts when connect to a phone. With a collection of unused chargers left plugged in, they can accumulate 10% of your energy bill.
Keepin’ it cool:
As simple as this next tip may sound, it can help to save 5%-15% every year off your energy bill. Turn the thermostat down. Dropping the temperature by around 3/5 degrees to get your overall house heat to around 10/15 degrees can hugely help to save money and reduce energy wasted.
Go with the slow flow:
To improve your water sufficiency, replace your shower heads with low flow ones. The conventional shower head uses 5 gallons of water per minute, but low flow heads use less than half of this. Make the change and save your water!
Here’s a bright idea…
The average home has 40 light bulbs, so there is no better time than now to get to switching you light bulbs. Take your pick from Halogen bulbs, LED bulbs or CFL bulbs to make sure your lights are energy efficient. Not only are these good for the environment, but they also offer longer lasting light.
Chuck it in the bin… the compost bin.
Compost is created by organic waste that is kept in a pile or container to compose over time. This helps to reduce the amount of waste you produce, but your fruit and vegetable compost is a great fertilizer for your garden.
Smart meters being… smart:
Smart meters are a great way to keep on track of the energy you use within your home, along with cutting out the need for meter readings. Along with telling you how much you’ve used; it also tells you how much it costs all within up-to-date real-time. You can then compare past and present use of the smart meter and see how well it is working.
So, there is everything you need to know about saving money and making your home eco-friendly. From turning down the thermo to solar panels to switching those light bulbs, all while monitoring your environment loving activities success on a smart meter. Even doing a couple of the things in this list will help to make a difference in the long time.
For more tips like these and to get the best price for your property, contact the team on 01908 234 111 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org